PDA

View Full Version : visitor visa 676 or sponsored visitor visa 679 ?

anu1
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I would like to invite my sister (46) for 6 months to stay with us. We are both working & Aus citizens, and my sister is Sri Lankan. I would like to find out what is the visa type (eg sponsored visitor visa (679), visitor visa (676)) we should apply for.

Looks like Sponsored visitor visa is generally for a 3 months. And, I would also have to pay a bond.

As for the visitor visa, my sister will have to show her financial status. Though they have a family business it may not be considered sufficient. Therefore I will undertake to provide finance support, accommodation and all through a letter or a stat dec.

Will this be ok or the visa application will fail if she cannot show sufficient funds of her own for a 6 months visit?

Her husband and two children (12 & 15) cannot come with her due to work/study commitments. She leaving her children behind for 6 months -- will this be seen unfavorably for her visitor visa application for a "6 months holiday" on her own?

Should we apply for the sponsored visitor visaa (679) or visitor visa (676)? What would be the best one for us in this circumstance? Your comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

B2B
05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Anu and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

I believe your sister would be best to apply for the Sponsored Family Visitor's Visa (Subclass 679 (http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/visiting-family/679/)).

This particular Visa can be for 3 or 6 months and in some circumstances of 12 months duration.

With you acting as her Sponsor and the fact that she has compelling reasons to return to Sri Lanka before her Visa expires, I believe she will be successful.

If you need further assistance putting the application together, please don't hesitate to ask.

anu1
05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Anu and a warm welcome to the Forum :) .

Thank you. Also appreciate your comments.

I believe your sister would be best to apply for the Sponsored Family Visitor's Visa (Subclass 679 (http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/visiting-family/679/)).
Ok, I will consider this option. Might have to pay about 10-15k bond, though. I wanted to avoid that if possible.

What did you think the problems for 676 visa might be?

If you need further assistance putting the application together, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you - I might have more questions once I start the process.

B2B
05-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Thank you. Also appreciate your comments.

Ok, I will consider this option. Might have to pay about 10-15k bond, though. I wanted to avoid that if possible.

What did you think the problems for 676 visa might be?

Thank you - I might have more questions once I start the process.

As your sister will be applying from a high risk country, there is more than a possibility that she wouldn't be successful in applying for a subclass 676 anu!

However, if she can show adequate funds to support her 6 month stay; stat decs stating she is in business and will need to return for work and that all of her family will remain in Sri Lanka and her family ties will guarantee she will return to Sri Lanka before her Visa expires, she might be successful. Unfortunately if she or yourself were to pay the fees and she wasn't successful, the fee isn't refundable.

From experience I have found resident's from the sub continent are usually more successful with their applications for the 679 on their first attempt to visit Ozland.

Pink Panther
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Her husband and two children (12 & 15) cannot come with her due to work/study commitments. She leaving her children behind for 6 months -- will this be seen unfavorably for her visitor visa application for a "6 months holiday" on her own?

While this can be questioned by DIAC, it can be also interpreted favourably as some very strong ties to return to her home country, regardless her reasons for spending 6 months in Australia.
So I suggest that she emphasize this aspect with her application, it is very important for the tourist visa applicants to show reasons to return home and family is one of the strongest ones.

Very good luck!
PP;)

HKSL
05-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi anu,

Do not know which visa class is best for your sister but my Sri Lankan friends have their family members visiting them in here with visitor visa, 676 (1-2 months for brothers/sisters and 1 year for parents as it seems the normal length of stay for visitors from Sri Lanka). It would be very difficult for someone in her age to obtain 6 months visitor visa if she simply say she is going to Australia just for a holiday. If you have any other reason to include (like you might want her around you if you are recovering from some health problems, your are expecting a child etc, or if you have kids you want them to get to know their aunt well, or may be your family might have some important events coming up sperading over 5-6 months period so you want her to stay for that period, like may be birthdays, graduations etc.)

The fact that she has 2 kids and not working full time, and is going to visit you for 6 month just for a holiday is not that good for AHC in Colombo. However, with very strong supprting documents (reasons for her visit as well as her ties with Sri Lanka) she should able to obtain 6 months visitor visa. If you really want her to come for 6 months only for a holiday, then better to contact a good agent who is familiar with Colombo AHC and extended visitor visa.

GOOD LUCK

anu1
05-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Very interesting and useful comments, everyone. Keep them coming.

Does this forum allow the members to be contacted directly through email or PM? I have a question about something that HKSL touched upon. I would like to contact HKSL directly if possible. Thank you.

B2B
05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
You can put your email id into your Personal Profile Anu and if HKSL is happy to make contact with you she can access your addy there.

Go to USER CP, when your profile page comes up click on EDIT PASSWORD AND EMAIL.

All the best matey.

anu1
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Go to USER CP, when your profile page comes up click on EDIT PASSWORD AND EMAIL.

Thank you and I did that. Looking forward to be contacted.